Thursday, October 20, 2011

Zero-Payout Claims Count!

     First of all, what constitutes a "zero-payout" claim?  Have you ever called your home insurance company and asked a question starting with: "Will my policy cover me if..."?  Well, even if your company didn't pay anything out, that simple question may be counting against you!  The same principle applies when you call the sheriff because your neighbors are having a loud party at 3am; even if there are no arrests or shots fired, they still have to do some form of paper-work. The reason this counts against you is because insurance companies want to limit you from what I call "poking and prodding" your policy every few months to see if you can get a pay out.  One $0-payout claim by itself probably won't hurt your insurance score, but that plus any regular claim may dis-qualify you from getting better rates so be careful what you call in for!
     Many of my clients have had this same problem.  When shopping with me for new insurance, they are surprised to find out that the claim that didn't pay out anything a few years back is on their claim history report.  Luckily, for them I have a partner company that does not count these kinds of claims!  I am so fortunate to have this company and they usually come out with the best rates.  Give me a call to see what I can do for you, 877-50-MyHome Ext 8481.
     My advice, if you have a question about a potential claim, is to call me, your agent.  I, by law, can not write policies and adjust claims; I have no way of starting a claim file against you but I can tell you if you have a potential claim on your hands.  Nice to know, huh?  If you can not reach me and have to call the insurance company directly, speak in hypothetical terms and avoid giving dates and specific information, that should help.

     I hope this will help you keep your insurance payments low and make you a more informed home-owner.


No comments:

Post a Comment